Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008: Year in review

This list is courtesy of Linda @ All & Sundry... great idea, and I can't wait to see my answers a year from now!

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Moved across the country (on my own accord) without a job waiting... eek!

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Don't think I made any resolutions last year...

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yep - several friends (whose dear babies I can "observe" on Facebook!)

4. Did anyone close to you die? After a brave battle with cancer, Grandma Randell in April.

5. What countries did you visit? Unfortunately, did not leave the country. Hope to get somewhere, even if it's only the U.S. this year!

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? A job! (other than raising Ben of course).

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? January 25 - Trevor proposed (and I accepted, of course); March 25 - diagnosis of PPD; September 2 - move to Calgary; October 21 - Ben's 1st birthday.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Exclusively nursing Ben - went from 8.15 pounds to over 23 in 1 year! Having the balls to move out to Calgary.

9. What was your biggest failure? Inability to lose all the baby weight and not keeping in better touch with friends.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? PPD, which has now resolved :)

11. What was the best thing you bought? Things that delight Ben, Trevor's birthday and Christmas prezzies.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Ben when he finally started sleeping through the night; Barack Obama; the Montreal Canadiens (most games...).

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Most politicians.

14. Where did most of your money go? Things to delight Ben! Oh and the move west ate up our savings big time.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? US Election; Ben walking; new season of Top Chef; receiving a beautiful Tiffany set diamond ring from Trevor :)

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Just one? Paper Planes by M.I.A.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?... much, much happier :)
b) thinner or fatter?... unfortunately about the same (considering I had just given birth this time last year, I should be thinner by now.... I'm gonna start working on that for real...)
c) richer or poorer?... definitely poorer, but money doesn't buy happiness, right?

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Exercise, spending time outside with Ben.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Surfing the internet.

20. How did you spend Christmas? In Calgary with Trevor, Geoff, Brenda & Keith. Plus an early December visit to Comox, and a visit from Booth & Fi!

21. Did you fall in love in 2008? Well I stayed in love with Trevor & Ben, does that count?

22. What was your favorite TV program? Top Chef, hands down.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Ooooh boy... don't think so? Wait, I didn't know who Sarah Palin was this time last year... so yeah...

24. What was the best book you read? The Birth House; 15 Days; 90 Minute Sleep Solution.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? M.I.A. and Kings of Leon

26. What did you want and get? A fiance; Wii Fit; trips to BC

27. What did you want and not get? A smaller waist; a full-time job in October.

28. What was your favorite film of this year? Juno (I know it came out before '08, but I only saw it this year); The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; The Dark Knight.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I was 26. Catherine hosted a small get-together in the middle of a snowstorm. We had Indian food & homemade cupcakes and it was great :)

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? To have spent more "quality" time with Ben and my friends.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Comfort and hiding the muffin top!

32. What kept you sane? Trevor and my new friends from the PPD group :)

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Brangelina and all their kids.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? The US election; enviromental issues.

35. Who did you miss? My friends and family I didn't get to see nearly often enough :(

36. Who was the best new person you met? Just one? Ariel!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Being a mother is the toughest yet most amazing job I've ever had to do.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "Cause I am a superwoman, (yes I am), Even when I'm a mess, I still put on a vest, with an S on my chest, Oh yes, I'm a superwoman"

No comments: